Today Sinclair and I took a break and went to the local neighborhood park. We do not usually hang out at this park. I thought the change of scenery would do us both good. I had the unexpected treat of running into a somewhat new friend of mine whom I totally adore. Ever have one of those relationships that you hit it off immediately?? Nicole and I were that way from the second we had introductions....besides the fact our children are the same age, she just oozes effortless cool and it shows. She just calls it like she sees it. It is a VERY refreshing quality. Nicole is beautiful, secure, confidant, very smart and a great mommy and I love the fact that everything rolls off her back and she has zero pretentions. You just know she could recite Prost or Kinky Friedman, has a stance on gun control, views on legalizing drugs and yet could totally tell a dirty joke (with precise comedic timing) all the men would swoon over.
So we had a brief chat today and part of our conversation got me thinking about something. How many times have we been in a setting where there is a group of people and we assume by the way people group together that there are cliques in the group or that people are kind of stuck-up or snooty? We were talking about an organization that we are both familiar with and we were discovering that we knew many of the same people. The ironic thing is that there were a few observations that we had a completely different take on. I was very appreciative she took the time to enlighten me, I respect and trust her opinion. Neither one of us are what anyone would mistake as introverted or shy. I was under the impression that this certain "circle" was cliquish. She took the time to explain it was not that way at all and how she could understand how the initial impression could occur. It just got me thinking that maybe sometimes when we see people that way it’s because of our own insecurities. My girlfriend was much more patient with my ignorance that I probably would have been with someone else in the same situation. I think sometimes we assume (mistakenly) that because people don’t initiate a conversation with us or join the group that they are stuck-up or snobbish. Well, what if they are just shy and don’t feel comfortable initiating a conversation? This really left me to ponder "I wonder how many times I have been guilty of judging a situation or a person at first glance because I was not completely educated on the subject?" Maybe I’ve been to quick to assume the worst about someone or something when it’s really completely different. Isn’t it interesting how we can be judgmental of people without even realizing we are doing so? Human nature fascinates me.
I was not in a sorority but I never recall as much "judging" as I do now that I am a Mommy. I think it is fascinating how we characterize the other parents. We find ourselves doing all the same things we try to instill our children NOT to do. That is that human nature thing again.
First thing we size up on the other Moms: "Are they working or stay at home moms? "Is she a Hipster Mom?" Then I haggle with what is the difference between "Cutting Edge Chic" and "stick up your posterior orifice?" Now that I am reflecting in print, I wonder what those other park Mother's thought about me in workout clothes schlepping a Birkin Bag as if it were a grocery tote. Am I "Cool" or just "Self-Indulgent?" OK, don't answer that!



4 comments:
this is like your old KK writings. You are awesome and have not changed one bit!
i love you dearly. and as your twin separated at birth, the answer to your last question has to be self-indulgent. takes one to know one.
I got the vday box. How adorable. Thank u so much. Its better that hawk doesn't sow any seeds.
You are indulgent but this is why we worship you
she looks more like you everyday -how does the song go "she has her momma's good looks and her daddy's money"
what a little angel you have brought into this world
Post a Comment