
Where phobias are concerned, being a germaphobe is probably not that bad. In fact, I don’t think it’s a real phobia at all. I mean, it’s not even on the list of known phobias. (Hear that Leigh?) About as close as “germaphobia” gets on the list is “Germanophobia”. Now, I am Polish-German, so I am confidant I am not a Germanophob. I know a lot of people from from German ancestry and I don’t feel the need to use Germ-x when I meet them, maybe I need to use German-x when I go to family reunions, since my German side resides in Mississippi. (Kidding) There is a “bacteriophobia” listed, however, perhaps Germaphobia is just not as respected as other phobias such as: Bogyphobia - Fear of the bogeyman (or is it the Boogeyman!); Cacophobia - Fear of ugliness - (I obviously didn’t have this while I was dating in High School!); Coprastasophobia - Fear of constipation (don’t come over my house for sunday dinner!); Dentophobia - Fear of dentists (no, I’m not a dentite....I love Dr Coleman and have been his patient 18 years); Ephebiphobia - Fear of teenagers (I suffered from this a few years ago but I have since overcome it now that my bonus children are married); and finally Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - yes, it’s the fear of long words, kinda ironic ain’t it.
In fact, I don’t think I have a phobia at all. I just recognize the fact that most people are too lazy to wash their hands after using the bathroom or sneezing into their hands. It’s not that I’m trying to get less sick it’s more that I don’t want your germs. Unlike Howie Mandel who can’t shake hands at all, I’m ok with shaking hands, as long as I have a bottle of Germ-x or Purell nearby. I like to take certain precautions to make sure your germs and my germs don’t meet. Your germs are like the Shi-ites to my Sunnis; the Palestines to my Jews … I think you get the point. Trust me, once you have had Meningitis (more than once) and spinal taps (too many times to count) and suffered from staph (along with a PICC line) this germ epidemic totally gets your attention.
Here are my top precautions I like to take:
1) Public Pens. According to the journal of something I read a while ago, this is the top reason that influenza is passed from one person to the next. The answer … use my own pen when signing credit card receipts when eating out or shopping. Or you can resort to using these new antibacterial pens.
2) Gas Stations. Do not use them but if I have too here are a few things I do here. The first is I never use my own hands to push the buttons at the pump. I always use my car keys. Also, while I do use my own hands to squeeze the pump, I use my mobile Purell dispenser to quickly eradicate the unsanitary bacteria. The journal reference above also noted that germs tend to live longer on metal, so important to Purell/Germ-x quickly here!
3) Hotel Rooms. Coming from someone who travels frequently, this is hot spot. The key here is to never leave home without your antibacterial wipes. In fact, I have been known to break them out before I enter the room. These are the areas I wipe before I touch: door knobs, TV remote, bathroom (the whole thing!). What about the telephone you say??! I try not to use it all! If I have to … then I use a hand towel to pick it up, but never touch the ear. I have also discovered the Ultra Violet Laser wand that can pass over items such as toilet seats, sheets, etc and kills all germs with a zap. LOVE IT!
4) Public Sneezing. Ok, I admit, this may get a little weird. People who fail to cover their mouth when they sneeze absolutely piss me off. I despise the sight of germ spray going everywhere with out concern of anyone else around you. I have been know to walk around an the exact opposite of a store when I see this happen. My family thinks I’m crazy. Just as bad are those that sneeze into their hands and just wipe their clothing or (worse yet) don’t wipe but touch the handle bars of the grocery cart, yeah, that’s a germ haven! Use the right method people! Sneeze into your sleeve or pull your shirt over your nose. Use common sense!
Look, I am not crazy and I know that some of these new products are like new age snake oil. And yes, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I have heard that using antibacterial products can create new problems for the “super-bacteria”. Perhaps it’s mostly psychological, using these products may do nothing at all. Washing your hands with soap and water is said to be the best way to combat these germs. But in the end, knowing that I am rubbing my 62% Ethyl Alcohol lotion on my hands makes me feel much better!! That along with the dual antibiotics I take daily. Along with a cup of Clorox to your bath water.



17 comments:
ok I just blew my Dr Pepper through my nose reading this one (I know not very germ friendly)
but this is FUNNY
I wish more people were taking awareness to your level
Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!
Please, tell us more about these laser thingies that zap germs. Where do I find them?
TIA!
I'm with you on this one KK!
YOU ROCK! I love this blog
We are all kind of laughing with you (not at you) but this is great information and a very serious topic people should take to a serious level
I want an UV wand
TG
For gas stations I keep a box of disposable rubber gloves in my trunk for times that I cannot find a full service station. I get out put them on; you can imagine some of the looks and comments.
Love your blog, your daughter is an absolute angel.
I kid because I love. And because you love me enough to send an Amazon.com box truck full of anti-staph supplies when you THOUGHT I MIGHT have staph, when it was just a nasty case of Phebitis. I used my 'magic wand' yesterday to rid my kitchen and bathroom of any unsightly germs brewing.
When I got that thing in the mail last week, I honestly thought I was going to get all CSI on the next hotel I stayed in with the blue light, that detects...you know...gross stuff that you don't want to sleep on. This is way better.
Thanks for making us both healthy. At least phsically! :)
Love,
Leigh
Having two children has made me even more keenly aware of germs, and the precautions I can take. I just wish other people would take them, too!! Have you heard of the violight (www.violight.com) for your toothbrushes? My brother-in-law has it, and he said its great. It uses a germicidal UV bulb to kill bacteria on the brush. I am thinking of buying some for the family.
My house is messy but I am a washaholic, I let everything air dry and then it gets at least 10 minutes of a hot dryer to kill germs. Also, my children have high immune systems. They always have vitamins and food loaded with antioxidents. My son is rarely sick. Even a case of allergies can be cured with a couple of handfuls of vitamin C, the worst think that can do is give you diaharrea. My husband won't eat fruits and veggies, he does not take vitamins and he is always sick. Same with my inlaws, who survive without ever drinking water. go figure, my son and I drink gallons of water every day. I get razzed all the time about my buckie's gallon jug full of ice water that goes everywhere i go. great blog
I am someone who has never had a picc line, meningitis, a staph infection, spinal tap. I am not overly cautious about germs. Sure, I wash my hands after using the bathroom (never use your clean hand to turn the water off!! Studies have shown that there are 50 kazillion germs there). Use a paper towel.
I am more relaxed when it comes to germs. I am a nurse. Rarely do I get sick..my kids either. Just another viewpoint!
Also, purell I don't believe kills MRSA. Just FYI...
Years and years ago, I once made my family stay in our SUV on a trip to Florida because after viewing 10 hotel rooms at 8 different establishments, I couldn't find a SINGLE one that didn't have pubic hair (or some kinda hair) in the bath tub. I figured if there was hair where I could SEE it, God only knows what's on the sheets. I grant you this was in the wee hours of the morning, but by daylight, I found a suitable resort that I could sleep peacefully in. :-)
Glad to know Leigh got the truck load too! The wand is super cool. I'm thinking about starting my own program on dirty hotel rooms. Of course, I could never go anywhere again. Thanks for all the useful info. I have to go wash my hands now and take a bleach batch. xoxo
Kristi ...thank you for using the phrase "German ancestry" rather than the far-more-common-yet-erroneous "German descent." The use of "descent" when people mean "ancestry" is one of my pet peeves. And I'm with you on the whole germ thing - I keep a 32-ounce bottle of germ-x on my credenza.
Keep up the great work.
BDH
I LOVE YOUR BLOG
Its my MUST READ
Keep it up!
P.S. You know whose love child you are.
>2) Gas Stations. Do not use them but if I have too here are a few things I do here....
Get a pair of work gloves and slide them under your seat. Germs are not likely to survive on the pump handle due to splash from the gasoline. But, a glove will keep that gas smell off your hands as well as those pesky little bacteria.
agreed with your opinion, however, there is a condition for fear of germs (irrational of course) Misophobia or Mysophobia.
:)
Post a Comment