Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I am starting to feel like my "old self" again.....

Anyone that really knows me KNOWS I love to give "good letter" I do not decide thoughtlessly when I choose whom is most valuable of my time. I have been a "fan of the pen" for years and I find it quite cathartic.



I recall writing one of my first letters in high school to "legal eagle" Joe Jamail after he won the Pennzoil case. The Houston Post interviewed him and he was giving a diatribe of how Samson whipped Goliath. Well, as he had his feet perched upon his hand carved desk there was a hole in the sole of his shoe. This was worthy of a letter.


Many letters has passed over twenty years. My first one post marriage was a rather poignant one to the National Trust that owns Cliveden Estate. I carbon copied the entire Board and the Chairman of the Express Newspapers. I will not bore you with details, but they had it coming.







This brings me to my latest letter snapped off from my blackberry at 35,000 feet yesterday. I was flying back from my surgery and post-recovery in Orange County, California. After we went airborne I could hear little babies muffled screams and wails. I was concerned; I asked the man next to me in #2B "Do you hear that?" His reply was "I am trying not too" Well, I excused myself to go to the restroom and the flight attendant informed me "This woman just went in with her newborn, that is what all the commotion is. She could be a while." From this moment I glanced at my watch and noted the time. Bless this poor young Mother, 28 minutes later she emerged looking like she had just had an audition for Survivor. She was red-faced, disheveled, her 5 month old son was hysterical. I swear at times it sounded as she was attempting to flush him down he was so upset. When she emerged I could not help but touch her on the arm and said "if I had any idea you needed help I would have stepped up but you were already inside by the time I heard your baby" She apologized to me and said "I am so sorry you had to wait, but there is no changing table in first class" I have mentioned this on two occasions I had to my friend that is high up at Continental. It is a long flight back and forth from London when dodging for a bathroom with a little one. Naturally, when I saw the frustration in this sweet Mothers eyes that is all I needed to hear before I got my "Ralph Nader-Nancy Drew-Lois Lane cape" on and fired off a letter to the Chairman of Continental.



Tuesday, May 20, 2008





Attention: Chairman, Continental Airlines





Dear Mr. Kellner:



I would call you "Larry" since we have met numerous times socially but since this is a complaint letter of sorts I will stick with formalities.





My husband, John and I are platinum status of your airline. My daughter, Sinclair is a mere 21 months old and has already taken 18 international flights, not considering the many domestics. The thing I find most irritating usually begins after your "warm and fuzzy speech" about being the airline with the "youngest fleet" and the "state of the art aircraft", this is all "white noise" considering you do not properly accommodate parents traveling with small children. I agree, service is usually top notch but when I fly, always first class and I usually have my daughter with me. I am not able to change her in a first class bathroom since there is no changing table. Which means I have to trek all the way to the back of the plane and hope there are not five people in front of me and usually by this time we are both most uncomfortable. I am quite confidant you have never had to hold a baby while pulling your pants down to go to the bathroom and bob them on your hip while washing your hands - then tending to a crying infant that is dangling mid air? Yeah, didn't think so.





Why in the hell would I want free booze, free head phones when I have to deal with the agony of no proper bathroom accommodations? Although my daughter is yet to turn two, we even buy out the seat next to us for extra room and stuffed animals. Keep in mind she stays in my lap. Could you please apply the dozens of seats I bought and never used to the "Kidcare FIRST CLASS Potty Fund?". Honestly, I can even Chair a Ball and raise the funds myself.





My husband and I are also loyal clients of Netjets and have been for some time. We have special request such as his Johnny Walker Blue, my Dr Pepper and a changing table. They always come through. Nevertheless, I'm confidant Warren Buffet, as well you know, the primary owner of NetJet's, has never had to potty while holding a newborn either.





Alas, I am traveling solo today from Orange County I just watched a desperate teary eyed woman with a 5 month old emerge after 28 minutes (I timed her since I have felt her pain on more than one occasion). That left four others waiting for the restroom. This poor woman was so upset and the baby is now hysterical and is entertaining most of First Class. I personally love the sound of one of God's little miracles but the gentleman next to me switching heading to an International flight at IAH and going on to Argentina looks a little pinched and is one his third scotch.





I just think you should consider changing tables for First Class in your next budget meeting. I feel very strongly about this. Keep in mind, I am always available for presentations to your Board as well. Please note, I have copied my other friends in various departments of your company so this makes no error reaching you. Of course, by the time you get it they may not admit to knowing me, but I have photos to prove it.



Kindest regards, Kristi


In less than one hour from the moment my plane touched down, in fact I was still in route to my home. I received a phone call on my cell phone from a number I did not recognize. This was the head of marketing that informed me that my letter did in fact reach the Chairman and it left him upset. When I heard this, I was so impressed he "felt my pain" until I heard that he considered it one of the "meaner letters they had ever received" I was stunned. I asked him if he was kidding. He informed me he was not.



I laughed and explained "if that is truly the meanest letter you have ever received your company is doing better than the analysts are saying and if you think that is 'nasty' you need to watch more late night cable"



Then came the stunner ...."Larry Kellner only flies COACH CLASS so he probably does not understand about what goes on in First Class, especially the bathrooms"


I immediately thought I wonder if Herb Kelleher, Chairman of Southwest Airlines had this tidbit of information. Mental note to self: email Herb!




After regaining my composure to keep from laughing hysterically in the phone I offered this bit of advice "if Larry Kellner is Chairman of the largest airline in the U.S. and he flies coach, he needs to get a better lawyer writing his employment agreements."




I felt so sorry that the Chairman is forced to fly coach in the wake of high gas prices that I felt his public that complains of exorbitant airline prices needs to know the sacrifices Mr. Kellner makes. I am sure with their stock plummeting from $40 to $16 that their Investor Relations department is so busy with Wallstreet they truly do not have the time to inform the General Public of the sacrifices this Chairman makes. So I let my friends at Business Week, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Financial Times, London Express, Houston Chronicle, Dallas Morning News and Fox News know that this CEO wast truly "taking one for the team by flying Coach" and this explains clearly why is has NO CLUE what happens in First Class.




In turn, I copied Warren Buffett and the President of NetJets, Jim Christiansen and thanked them for my changing table. FYI: I received an email back from the head of NetJets thanking me for being such a valued customer. I was not promised extra hours but I was guaranteed my changing table and my Dr. Pepper. That is all I truly need.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! I love it! As your not-so-legal counsel.....I cannot advise you as to the outcome of the blast!! but as your BFF, its hysterical xo esc

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!


Annie

Anonymous said...

Go Momma KK


Meredith Cullen

Anonymous said...

Thank you for choosing Auto Check-in for your upcoming Continental Airlines flight. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide your boarding passes at this time.

Please complete your check-in at the airport on your day of departure. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Anonymous said...

You are a great writer. That should go up on the Continental Employees bulletin!! It is awesome

Donald Looper

Anonymous said...

OMG. Just walked in the door & saw this! You are a badass! II am going straight to my TV's and will wait w/bated breath till ... Bill O'Reilly calls YOU!
(Oh and BTW, I didn't think it was mean. Really.) Remind me to use YOU when I need to make big announcement fast!


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Anonymous said...

If I ever piss you off, let me know, so I can just peacefully shoot myself and save my family the embarrassment of your email distribution.

Your CIA training is paying off!


Beau

Anonymous said...

I thought the letter (original one) was great… I agree and I know everyone else out there does too. We’ve all experienced this.
The follow up here is even more interesting.
This is like having your own prime-time blog.

But I do agree… If I make you mad, let me know in advance.

Please, for the sake of those of us with a continental ticket for future flights, please don’t open up NASTY on them yet.

Stevie.

Anonymous said...

KK,

You are ruthless, but hey, if I had to change a baby in a small ass plane lavatory, I’d be pissed too

Personally, I thought you were more funny than mean!

PS-

As sorry ass as the US carriers are, if I were a CEO of an airline, I’d still fly private. The commercial planes are so notoriously late, you could never efficiently get around to conduct your “CEO business”. I’m just a lowly President/COO, and I benefit from a “time machine”, I guess airline CEO’s just are not that busy

Oh well, I’m off to Singapore tomorrow, thank God for Singapore Airlines, the new Houston – Moscow – Singapore flights rocks (Flight #SQ 61 going and SQ 62 coming home) you should try it, great accommodations for babies too and the lavatories have a fold down changing table

BB

Anonymous said...

You should send to Morning Joe.( Msnbc) He is constantly complaining about Continental.

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

that is HYSTERICAL!!!

Anonymous said...

there is NOTHING mean about that letter - its pretty damn funny actually

Tamara said...

MEAN?? You didn't drop an "F" or even personally attack! I've had MUCH worse said to me and I'm not a company! Either I'm a COMPLETE loser, or someone has their panties on way too tight! Plus, you and I both know the guy only flies coach for appearances!

Anonymous said...

hey Kristi:
First of all, I am so happy to hear everything in San Diego went so well. Sounds like you are coming out of the starting gates full speed ahead!
I love your letter to the CEO of Continental! I don't get where they thot it was the "meanest letter" he had ever received! You made your point and THEN SOME!!!
I love reading your stuff--it is great!!
XO
Mike

Anonymous said...

That letter was lighthearted and funny. I am sure they get hundreds of 'YOU CORPORATRE JERK" letters every day. They should have been thrilled someone was approaching them with wit, charm and humor.


This is why their stock is in the tank and they are barely hanging on. They cannot deal. Mr Kellner needs to loosen up.

Anonymous said...

A "Mean Letter?"
I write worse than that for normal negotiations.

Obviously, they have not encountered the queen of slice and dice yet.

Hark! Do I hear the sound of a Ginsu against an Arkansas rock?

Unknown said...

Kristi...I have just phoned our chief pilot to install a changing table in 407W while going through C-Check...just in case you ever fly with us again! We'll make it mahogany with gold inlay. Cheers...Ward

Anonymous said...

Save your wit, charm and humor for a topic that really matters. Getting pissy over changing tables in first class puts you in the same category as Victoria Osteen. Quit trying to draw attention to yourself with your letters to CEOs and comments about sneaking aboard Microsoft yachts. Also, check your spelling and grammar.

Sherri said...

I want you to know I hate you even more than usual (in the most Christian way, of course), and here's why:

I bitch pretty much non-stop to anyone with ears and/or an email address and no one ever pays a damn bit of attention. Not even when I use swear words only people in the military know.

I feel certain if I had been the one to have written an actual "mean" letter to Mr. Look at Me I'm A Real Guy Who Flies With All the Poor People Even Though I'm a Rich Bastard, he would not have bothered to have his Marketing Mommy call me to let me know I hurt his wittle feelings.

You have great power, KK. Use it only for good. (And by that I mean use it to do stuff for me.)

Signed,
One of the poor people forced to sit beside Larry while first class babies scream.

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that Mr. Kellner couldn't see that it would mean so much to so many mothers to simply add a changing table in first class. I will not often travel first class in my life, but I still see the value of having two changing tables on a plane. Also, I appreciated your opinion on Microsoft's Vista. I don't think any company with that many brains behind closed door should force you to use a program that has so many problems. Thanks from the little guy!!!

Anonymous said...

I think every plane bathroom should be required to have a changing table area

I am suprised its taken this long for this matter to be addressed

Anonymous said...

You ROCK!!!! People just dont understand how hard it is traveling with babies

El Jefe Maximo said...

Air travel nowadays is nightmarish under even optimum circumstances.

On another subject, I was curious about the letter you mentioned to the British National Trust regarding the Cliveden Estate. I'm terribly ashamed not to have gone there when I had the opportunity. The Astors are most interesting, as were the Dukes of Westminster, but what I remember about it was mostly it's connection with the Profumo scandal...hope to see their place next time I make it back that way.

lisa said...

mean? I'd hate to see his funny.

KK said...

There was NO changing table and the coach class bathroom was not even working.

I agree that more children ride coach than First class but why should those in First be punished for flying first with kids?

I timed her because I had been in the same positoin she had been in.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (which a child/baby falls under) everyone is entitled to a toilet facility.


Yours too

What would you have done if there was NO changing area anywhere on a 3-4hour flight?

Anonymous said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????????????



You think you have something to complain about with Continental check this out:

We are holding $4k round trip business first tickets to London Heathrow. The $4k was an introductory fare to get the Heathrow route up. Unbeknownst to Lisa and CO didn’t point it out at the time of ticketing, this $4k fare is non-refundable. It is changeable with a $500 fee -- not that big of a deal, but what is; CO’s businessfirst full fare basis is $9k for the London routes (same as before), but what is new; this $9k fare is ALSO non-refundable. You have to pay $10,000 (an extra $1,000) to have a refundable ticket.


Steve Weyel
President, EXXI

Unknown said...

Herb Kelleher doesn't fly first class because there is no first class on SWA. Alternatively - you could look at it like this: ALL of SWA seats are first class! **wink**

Signed - A Loyal SWA spouse

TheSocialStandard said...

Hi KK!
I just found your blog, and may I just say- you are a girl after my own heart! This is just like something I would do! I have a 2 1/2 year old, a newborn and two teen boys (from a previous life). I have battled kidney cancer to fight another day, and I am an American Patriot. It's refreshing to read like minded thoughts from such a beautiful person, your beauty exudes from inside. Be blessed in all that you do and know you are in my prayers! Have a beautiful beautiful day! -JSBlair