Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Some of the many things I give thanks for....


I have spent a lot of time reflecting this week. I attended SEVEN various charitable luncheons and dinners. Among them, I listened to Navy Seal, Marcus Luttrell share his story of fighting for our country. The following day, started similar to my others, yet on this day last week, I was honored enough to sit between Dr Elsa Murano, the President of Texas A & M University to my left and to my right, Dr Renu Khator the President of University of Houston. The two women were so powerful and inspiring. Last, but not least I watched my husband receive the honor of "Outstanding (Texas A & M) Aggie of the Year"


When Sinclair and I arrived at the farm while I had some down time, I thought I would do a post that really only means something to me, but I also thought it would be fun to share. So here are some of the many things I am thankful for:

My amazing husband, John ... my rock, the love of my life!

My daughter, Sinclair who is truly the light of my life

My "bonus kiddos" Hailey and Daniel, along with their amazing spouses, Vero and Lucky, whom I love more than words can explain

Dangling my legs on the dock at our farm and feeding the fish and watching Sinclair's face light up

My Brother, John who loves to "keep me grounded"

My Momma, "JoJo" -- could not ask for a better Mother that loved a daughter unconditionally

My iPod

LeighBee for making our life run smoother and being a great sounding board

BlueBell Homemade Vanilla

Tivo

Slider burgers at the Reef

All my girlfriends (Melissa, Eva, Estela, Jenna, Leighbee, Ryland, Shanna, Lisa Jane "Walker" and Paula)

My Rolodex/Blackberry (I even impress myself sometimes)

The freedom to travel

I loved growing up in the security of a small Texas town (Pre-Internet, MTV....we had PARTY LINES)

Baking desserts (comfort food makes me happy, what can I say)

Taking thousands of photos and many great ones are "keepers"

iPhoto on my MacBook Pro

Our dogs: Clementine, Oliver and Clifford

The Internet

My staph "dream team" Dr Rollin Daniel, Dr Sam Stal, Dr Sheldon Kaplan and Dr Tobias Samo

Buenos Aries, Argentina

Firepits on a cold night

The privilege of watching my family grow

Enjoying a great book (Best read of the year: "Lone Survivor")

Clean, crisp pressed sheets from Leontine Linens

Foundation Garments

Good movies on a rainy day

My mentors (who know who you are)

The "Flower Fairies" (Kirksey and Richard that make Casa Chaos look like a Norman Rockwell painting)

A day the phone never rings

Looking at the stamp on my passports and thinking about the places I have been

The fact we have been fortunate enough to travel and take Sinclair on 18 international flights before her 2nd birthday!

My blog and the freedom of expression

That logic mostly wins


"MiMi"...."Annie Banannie" and "Buddy"

Amazon One-Click

Sinclair's deep belly giggles

The way baby Liddie sleeps so peaceful in my arms - she is a "confection of perfection"

The day I decided to give this whole blog thing another chance

Exercising my right to vote

Sinclair's AMAZING Montessori teachers, Ms. Glenelle and Ms. Nadine





Everyday I have the opportunity to learn something new

Google for creating google reader - what a time saver!

My Gabor loafer shoes (thank you Corny & Celia) -- they feel like butter on my feet

Not having to travel for Thanksgiving this year

That I still have my journal from my 18th birthday

All the great friends I have (Frank, Jack, and Meredith)

Bob, my incredible trainer of fifteen years

Facebook (not sure WHY I am grateful, other than to pass the time)

The day I realized that art is as meaningful as science.

Quiet time just spent remembering past experiences

Moments when I have the clarity of thought to acknowledge that I can’t control what happens - only how I react

That I almost have the right tools for nearly every job

Every time I type a message on my blackberry which has all the words, correct spelling and reasonable grammar

Charity for all the right reasons

When my friends are willing to help me on stuff and are willing to let me help them

That it all works out in the end

Dr Pepper

Fresh jumbo lump crabmeat

Frank Sinatra Duets, album I

Anything that beholds a story

Any opportunity to share, listen and be with people I care about

All the times God picked me up and carried me when I stumbled

I probably have another 100 things I should be thankful for…. What are you thankful for?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you!

xo
lw

The Kitchen said...

How did Momma get left off that list?????

Love ya, Special K!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and what a great list. I am proud to be on it. I love you dearly and am grateful for all of the times you have talked me down from the ledge and all of the amazingly generous things you have done for my family.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Kristi, what happened to your cat .. Oscar Wyatt? Haven't heard you mention him in awhile.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful to be a University of Texas graduate and football fan !! Go horns

KK said...

We think Oscar W may have been taken captive by the coyotes that stalk River Oaks....


We are in search of a new family feline

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that about Oscar W. Hope Miss Sinclair wasn't too upset over his absence.

Does the chicken still come to visit?

I love hearing about your life, which is so totally different from my own.

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I,too,am extremely grateful for my husband.He has generously provided a wonderful life,I could have only dreamed about.He is such a nice person. my kids, grandkids, freedom of living in the most wonderful country in the world.The knowledge we can have just about anything we want in the USA if we work for it. The freedom to have the elections and choices we have. Most important--good health!!!

Anonymous said...

behind all the glitz and glamour you strike me as a very down to earth person

Anonymous said...

you can take the girl out of the country but never the country out of the girl... your appreciation for everything you have and your willingness to share your life & thoughts makes you an even more remarkable person... may we all learn a little from everyones life experiences...

Anonymous said...

I am thankful most of all for my 4 boys! I am thankful for the times we had in high school as friends. Your truly a remarkable girl. When I moved to Texas and knew no one, you befriended me, and for that I will always be greatful! Love ya!

cmhouston said...

Thank you for sharing your fun times at the Children's Museum of Houston.

We’d like to invite you to post your photos to our Flickr group page: www.flickr.com/groups/cmhouston/

Post comments on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/cmhouston

And follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/cmhouston

Thanks for visiting us and we hope you to see you soon!