Tuesday, November 4, 2008

REST IN PEACE, MY FRIEND


This week has been a hard one. Death in always inevitable but never welcomed. I lost one of my dearest friends and Texas lost one of its most colorful, "larger than life" true characters -- legendary Texas trial attorney Tom Alexander died of a heart attack over the weekend at the young age of 78. I always thought of Tom as sort of "bullet-proof Teddy Bear" ... but a heart bigger than Houston!

Tom Alexander was considered one of the most outspoken and highly respected lawyers among his field. What always amazed me is there was not anything he could not debate on. We had meaningful conversations about law, fine arts, sports, philosophy, politics and some occasional "hearsay" (which was T.A.'s codename for "gossip") I loved hearing the story about him trying to get horse racing passed in Austin and the filibustering Senator Jimmy Phillips and he used to endure. I could also listen to him tell over and over of the mischief he and (his best friend and fellow Barrister) the late Stanley Krist could get into. I would be remiss if I did not mention some of the best stories involved the great Private Eye, Clyde Wilson, who in irony passed away just hours before his best pal, Tom did this weekend. I can imagine them all in heaven now. Finding who robbed Peter to pay Paul and how they were going to take the greedy SOB down! Central Casting could never have invented characters like the aforementioned. They just do not make them anymore.


No topic was off subject, but he always made it a point to listen, even when he knew you were wrong. He could think on his feet faster than anyone I had ever met. He had a "gift" and was a true "word warrior" of the English language. He was charming, funny, witty, engaging and most of all eloquent. People truly just gravitated towards him like a magnet.

I first met Tom back in the early 90's when he represented the wife of a sports star in divorce. I was a young reporter covering the case. The couple's 911 calls were released and started to get sticky. I watched in amazement as he made his summation and I realized I was listening to the rare qualities only usually possessed in televangelists. In the midst of the trial the couple patched up their differences. Tom wore many hats that way, sometimes defender and others peacemaker.

Just a few years later, we were reintroduced at his Kentucky Derby party. Known for his wild attire, he did not disappoint that day either. I will never forget his custom made white alligator shoes, yellow pants, powder blue seersucker jacket and pink shirt with an ascot displaying a prism of pastels. We were standing among a circle of ten guests (among the darlings of the Derby was also Houston Chronicle sports voice, Mickey Herskowitz) on a gorgeous Kentucky afternoon and our friend (who was the Racing Commissioner) teased him for being dressed like a peacock. TA slowly turned a calculated shift and looked at me directly in the eye and inquired what I thought of his attire. I was stumped for a moment and said "well, the brighter the plumage the wiser the bird" He turned that twinkle on in his eye and laughed so hard. We became instant best friends. That was textbook TA, he loved a witty, lighthearted comeback, even at his own expense. When he raised his Maker's Mark to you, it was a Southern gentleman's "atta boy!"

I got a call about a year later from TA asking if I would like to come watch him in his closing argument on a very big oil and gas case. Naturally, I would never pass up the opportunity. He said in his best "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" accent, "Kid, I will send my Driver, Mr Jackson and look for him in the Rolls" (TA only traveled "old school" first class) As I was escorted by Mr Jackson to the courthouse he handed me a large envelope and asked me to wait in the hallway on the bench. I could see TA waving his hands, storytelling and talking to the jurors. I was thinking I was going to miss something very important, so I inquired about going in and Mr Jackson motioned for me to wait. He was captivating even when I could not hear what he was saying. I could see Tom finished his "sermon" and opposing council had the floor. About five minutes into the other lawyers argument, Mr Jackson asked me to walk in and hand Mr Alexander the envelope and then take a seat on the front row. I did as I was told ....every eye in the jury was on me as I presented the envelope. Tom thanked me with warm (silent) hand gestures, including a pat on the back. Needless to say, Tom won his case and there was nothing in the envelope. Classic TA! The lead juror pulled him aside and said "Mr Alexander, I just have to know, was there anything in that envelope?" He looked shocked and said "yes mam, of course, there were confidential documents pertaining to the case" (insert sly smile). She then gave him a hug and said "Mr, Alexander, YOU BE STYLIN' " In turn, he named one of his racing fillies "YOU BE STYLIN"

Over the years, I became like an adopted addition of the family. His daughter Susan is one of my families most prized treasures. Susan and I used to joke he was Denny Crane long before the Boston Legal character was ever thought of. I cannot imagine not being able to pick up the phone and running a story by him or sharing some "hearsay"


Godspeed TA, the mold has been broken, my friend. YOU BE STYLIN'!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

goodness, I have a kleenex out. I did not personally know him but thank you for bringing to life a true character of a man that most of us would never have the pleasure of meeting in the flesh.


The admiration you have for this man and his family shows. He passed with many friends.


RIP

Anonymous said...

well said....from the heart

Anonymous said...

well said....from the heart

Anonymous said...

this brought a tear to my eye. thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

what a perfect Tom Alexander story that was about the empty envelope. Thanks for sharing.

Alison Cook

Anonymous said...

You might mean "manilla envelope". (Sorry, I know that seems pedantic, but I'd want someone to tell me.)

Anonymous said...

this was a FABULOUS tribute that truly brightened my day

Anonymous said...

I start crying every time I read this

thanks for sharing