A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with goofy parents giving their children bizarre names. Just ask "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii" He granted her request to change her name.
Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed. The girl was involved in a custody battle and sought emancipation.
"The Court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgement which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name" he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily"
This little girl has been so embarrassed at the name that she never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead. In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of unfortunate names.
Registration officials blocked some names including "Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. Others slipped through the cracks, including Number 16 Bus Shelter and tragically "Violence". New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person. "Reasonable" would be the key word here.
Of course, I knew a "hippie" of sorts from Texas that named his children "Liberty Be Free" and "Justice For All" These are real names (I promise) ....of course this was coming from man who his first name was "Buffalo"



7 comments:
I just found your blog though Ravelry and I must admit I haven't laughed this hard in ages. Thanks for sharing all of these gems (made especially enjoyable by your witty commentary).
JUSTICE FOR ALL?!?!?
I like it. For boy's I like London for girl's Chelsea (it's the city where I live), Dakota, Carolina and Georgia. Also Kenya, Nairobi (my niece's name) and Zaire (cities from Africa) are cute girl's names
Zaire - ("in case you didn't know, it's a city from Africa").
I think its a great idea, if I have a daughter I would love to call her Swansea, cos she would be my little Swan floating on a calm sea
Clearly, an individual who has never been to Swansea.
My little sister's name is Chynna. I think naming a baby after anything is okay as long as it's something that is close to you.
Because China is really close to you. I can clearly tell that you come from somewhere like Korea or Mongolia - those are close to China. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone is close to "Chynna," seeing as it doesn't exist.
The best responses on these topics, however, are the laundry-list suggestions. It's like people pull out Maxim's "100 HOTTEST CLUBBING CITIES" list and just go for it.
Ooh! Those are such beautiful, unique, spicy names! (Spicy?)
for girls:
Paris
London
California (Cali for short maybe)
Chicago (no name more feminine than Chicago)
Montana
Dakota
Argentina? (oh, what, Tina for short?)
Italy
India
Angelos (Angie for short) (I think this is why God invented the name Angela)
Carolina
Australia
Jamaica
Brooklyn (Brook)
Georgia
Virginia
Indiana (a female Indiana would never be teased about a certain Hollywood archaeologist. Never)
Quebec (Becca) (oh no - no, you just didn't)
Lynn (Lynn is definitely a "spicy" name)
Alabama
Boy's names:
Angelos
Tacoma (Tacky for short??)
Rome or Roman (Either/or. I'm pretty sure Roman is a city name, right?)
Japan (JAPAN?)
Brazil
Oregon
Quebec (good to know that Quebec is a unisex name)
Denver
Boston
Maine(another real "spicy" name)
Montgomery
Other "city-name" questions on Yahoo solicited even better lists.
How about
Dallas
Houston
Roman
Kiev
Bristol
Bergen
Carson
Concord
Cork
for a boy
Cork - for a boy. It would be ridiculous to use Cork on a girl, but for a boy - now we're talking. Kiev's pretty great, too. Especially if you had chicken cravings during your pregnancy.
this may be my favorite blog of yours EVER KK. I've had my own list for years, should the occasion ever arrive I would NOT want to be unprepared....
I'm sure you've heard of the Texas Governor that named his daughters, Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg. *shudder*
wives tale but a good one....there was never a URA HOGG or a SHEEZA HOGG
Alas, there was only IMA HOGG
oh goodness. I about spit my strawberry smoothie (made secretly for myself now that kids are sleeping) across the room. I went to school with a girl who had one of "those" names. Actually 2 girls. The first, her last name was Kennedy...so her first name. Remember. Remember Kennedy...blech, we called her Mimi. The other, was Autumn Fall. yes, for real. Last name fall, first name Autumn. Sad, sad. Your blog is great, if I haven't said it before!
I had the same reaction when I read that article.
I love Texas. I actually miss it some days....I was an exchange student back in the day in East Texas and then went to TCU for a year. Still have many dear friends there....
Anyway. Just saying :)
Post a Comment