Thursday, January 24, 2008

Somebody get Jerry on the phone.... I'm gonna need a telethon.

Tonight was the Texas A & M vs. Baylor University basketball game. I know it does not sound like much to most - since trust me, twelve hours ago it did not sound like that much to me either. It was really important to John that we go so I decided it would be fun. We never get to enjoy our season tickets and this was a great family outing. John loves Aggie basketball and we got to see our new leader, Coach Turgeon in action! So you get the visual: A road trip with two generations of Pollocks (Momma JoJo and me) and an Aggie (engineer) and strapped in her car seat, the product of both these components! As my girlfriend Ryland calls it "Chic Despite"




Late this afternoon, we were off, jetting an hour and a half North to Reed Arena in College Station. This was Sinclair's first real Aggie experience. There were 13,000 screaming fans, Yell Leaders, the Band performing at 100 decibels above loss of hearing. Sinclair's little baby blues were wide with excitement from the moment she her the thumping of the music. The tubas were keep pace with her little heart.



We made our way down to the floor -- gave all our congenial hugs to others in "the cult" -- this included 12th Man Board members, Regents, fellow coaches and even the First Lady of Texas, Anita Perry and her daughter Sidney - these two were right next to our four floor seats.



The dance team stood erect with their pom poms staged directly in front of us --- too close NOT to touch, but we restrained. Sinclair finally could not stand it any longer and just HAD to have a handful of sequins in her little paw. When everyone was fussing over how "good she was" and how "well behaved" -- then she saw it and froze. Her eyes truly expanded to over half her face...hanging over the court was the biggest TV this little one had ever seen. This is also known as a "jumbotron" It was not long before her little face would light up and she would point and squeal "TeeeeVeeeeee" In the meantime, the ball almost whacked up three times and the players sweat can glisten before our eyes -- these are really good seats if you like that "I felt like I can suit up with the team" ambiance.




We brought enough books, dolls, snacks in case Sinclair would need anything other than halftime entertainment to get her through this. With almost five minutes to go till halftime and Aggies were behind but holding their own. John said "I will catch so much grief from my Baylor friends if the Aggies lose this game" When he was telling me this I looked up, the same time Sinclair did and he was holding Sinclair's dolls and books and I informed him "you are on TV snuggling an Elmo doll holding Princess books...I am sure basketball is not what they will give you grief for"



John, JoJo and I were very surprised she made it until the last quarter. I leaned over and told John that we were going to go back to the car and I would see him in 10 minutes. I wanted to miss the crowd. By the time I left it was what anyone would call a "tight game" but I felt confidant it was a "slam dunk." How sadly mistaken I was. John finally came out a few moments later, after he sent us a text saying "Ags are up - its close - we got the ball" Keep in mind at this point its 8:40 PM and already wayyyyy past Sinclair's bedtime and approaching on mine. We had sippy cups, snack and Direct TV in my wagon going, so we could have enjoyed ourselves a while, but we never could have outstayed this game. As we flip on the radio the game slips into Overtime. Both teams still managed to tie up the score which brings us to another OT. Same scenario. We listen to this pattern a total of FIVE TIMES!! This is a new Conference record! By the time we were pulling in our drive over an hour and a half later the game was just ending! Unfortunately, we succumbed to Baylor in a final score of 110-105.




On the drive home, Sinclair slipped in and out of "power naps" which only recharge the battery of an 18 month old. I knew she was not going down without a fight.





Is this the look of a little face that has any intention of going to sleep??


Her schedule is so thrown off from this game tonight and being around the music, people and cheers -- it is now almost midnight and after four failed attempts at "night-night" she is now hydroplaning off the furniture. We may as well have mainlined her with crack. It was our "Unfitney" moment.




Let's just say Momma maybe a Pollock and Daddy maybe an Aggie but we will NOT be making that mistake again anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im wild about the last photo where she is giving John the sly "I am not anywhere close to going to bed look"

she is one precious princess


kelly