Friday, October 3, 2008

Outta the Mouths of Babes....

Today was Sinclair's first day of school (classes were delayed due to Hurricane Ike) -- she was so very excited.  This morning when she woke up she immediately starting talking about her new school -- she dressed herself and ate a big hearty breakfast.  

On the way to school we pulled up to a stoplight (one of the still non-working ones since the storm) and my SUV started beeping to let me know I was low on fuel.  I do not believe Sinclair has ever heard that particular noise and this intrigued her two year old curiosity.


The banter went something like this:

(Ding-Ding-Ding)

"Mommy, what's that noise?"

I said "It is telling Mommy that she needs to get gas.  So while you are playing with your friends at your fun school Mommy will put gas in the car."

"Mommy, can we go to farm?"

I replied "after you get done playing at school we can go this afternoon"

I looked back to check on her and she seemed very satisfied with her cross direct.  She was sporting her favorite sunglasses and was smiling from ear to ear.  About five minutes later we pulled in the carpool line and I could see her teacher waiting to greet each formidable young pupil as they arrived.  I put the car in park and jumped out to unbuckle my Princess to get ready for the hand off.  The director and a teacher meet me and welcome Sinclair so graciously with warm loving hugs. 

Then, my daughter looks at both of them matter of flatly and says "My Mommy has gas"

I stuttered, stammered and assured them I did not and was just running low on fuel.  I think she could see the look of embarrassment on my (red) face and realized she struck a nerve.  She proceeded to tell everyone she encountered "My Mommy has gas"

It is official we have entered the "Kids say the darnedest things" chapter of her life!





6 comments:

Stephanie said...

LOL.....I've heard kids can really embarrass you at times.....and I'm so easily embarrassed. My little girl is only 17 months old, so I still have a little while to work out my issues maybe??

Where you do get Sinclair outfits?? They are adorable!

Pams Angle Of Repose said...

Cute story!

Most school teachers will tell you.... "We won't believe 1/2 of what your kids say about what happens at home, if you won't believe 1/2 of what they tell you happens here!"

Emily said...

that is hilarious!! i LOVE sinclair's outfit!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous girl! You can buy Gas-X tablets and carry them in your purse.

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Sinclair did an amazing job of dressing herself. That outfit is just too adorable and blue is DEFINITELY her color :-)

Also, how about an update on you (Kristi). How are you feeling these days?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anonymous said...

Sorry we missed ya'll friday! P-Clare will be-thare tomorrow!