We started hearing rumblings of Colin Powell endorsing Barack on "Meet the Press." While there was rampant speculation that Powell -- one of the most respected and admired individuals in America -- would endorse U.S. Sen. Barack Obama -- no one knew for sure.
Now we do. This morning on "Meet the Press," Powell said he will cast his ballot for the Illinois senator. Powell's response to Tom Brokaw was incredibly powerful. What it boiled down to was his deep concern with the hard right shift the Republican Party has taken. In contrast, Powell said Obama's campaign has been about inclusiveness and it recognizes the demographic and social realities of our changed world. Powell said that while he has known U.S. Sen. John McCain for 25 years and likes and respects him, he was very surpised by McCain's pick of Gov. Sarah Palin.
Powell said he has watched both candidates particularly closely over the last seven weeks. Obama has been steady at the helm. McCain has not. I imagine Powell's endorsement will swing moderate Republicans and some independents.
Powell -- the soft-spoken, Republican soldier who has served three GOP presidents -- is an icon. The power of this endorsement will have huge ramifications.
Blog Zombie: Strategi Rahasia untuk Meningkatkan Peringkat Mesin Pencari
-
Blog Zombie: Strategi Rahasia untuk Meningkatkan Peringkat Mesin Pencari
[image: Blog Zombie: Strategi Rahasia untuk Meningkatkan Peringkat Mesin
Pencari]
...
1 year ago



35 comments:
I have chills after watching this video. Colin Powell is a distinguished man, and he hits up all the right points. I've been a Republican all my life, and I wanted to vote for McCain in 2000, but in 2008, I'm voting for Obama.
Smart people choose wisely. Obama is the only choice right now. I like McCain, but I can not agree with his choice of Palin. She does not represent America. She represents trash. She speaks ebonics, her daughter and soon to be son-in-law have dropped out of high school. That is not the example that we want to send to our kids. We need a smart President with values, some one who can talk to the media, without saying, "Ill get back withcha"
kristi I really love your blog. Honestly, to me, its real. I do not always agree with your conservative views but do love your prose because it is sincere and refreshing, plus I love your Mom posts
I am so happy you posted this piece. it speaks magnitudes. Game Over!!! Forget any endorsement.This concludes and sums up the mccain-palin campaign.please promote this video it is substantial and right on point and obama is what we need.
General Colin Powell is the most respected leader in America, by Republicans, Democrats and Independents. He understands our great nation needs a great leader in this difficult times, and that is why General Powell is supporting President Obama.
sorry, but I think it is insane. Obama has no experience either. We will become a socialistic country. What could be more awful!!!
I do not believe that his endorsement of Obama, this late in the game, will have the impact it would have had a year ago. People can see through the real meaning here. Powell hasn't gotten over going along with the Iraq war yet and this is his retaliation against the current Bush administration. He could have stood up for what he thought was the truth then and he did not. Who can vote for someone who changes his mind daily and obviously says whatever is necessary to get elected. It is truly sad that people can't see through the rhetoric that is Barack Obama. I suppose that people will see this if Obama is elected. I still think McCain will win. Don't forget Obama has promised that the change he is going to bring will be hard and I firmly believe he will soon change everything he has promised Americans if he is elected. There have been many presidents elected who have promised to cut taxes and then gone back on their word. As for me, and I am definitely middle class (if not lower middle class), I am proud to pay my taxes, do not believe in the redistribution of wealth and certainly don't think that the government is there to solve all of your problems. I also cannot vote for someone who believes in leaving a baby born alive from a botched abortion to fend for themselves. And if there were not enough reasons to not vote for him already, that is the ultimate deal breaker for me and I believe in a woman's right to choose. This crosses the line for me! I believe in working hard for what we have and I, for one, don't need to be rescued!
Colin Powell saying he is supporting BO because of McCain's negativity, OK that's a good a reason as any I guess. Someone that smart could have come up with a better one you would think. Let's see if he'll take a cabinet position if asked, bet not.
Obama is better candidate than McCain. However, neither is a good candidate for America. I wish there were a third option.
It is too bad Powell failed to vet Obama before endorsing him. Had he done so, I don't think he would have jumped on the "change" bandwagon. For those that claim this is not about "race", Powell just confirmed this.
His comment about a "negative" campaign just shows Powell has not been paying attention or he feels Obama should continue to get the free pass he has enjoyed all along for this ties to very questionable groups and individuals.
Maybe Powell can explain to Obama the financial waste he is committing by refusing to pay $15.00 for a vaulted copy of his birth certificate instead of thousands fighting lawsuits to obtain this info.
Senator McCain...your comment should be "this is not the Powell I used to know", afterall it works for the sheeple following the "messiah"
Powell articulated his points for supporting Obama very well. I suggest some of you racist morons look at what he said. I'm amazed how many of you seem to "know" what is going on inside his head. If this was racially motivated why would Powell wait? He could have endorsed him months ago. His reasoning was simple: McCain was erratic on the economic crisis, he did not like the negative campaigning by his own party and he thought Palin was a poor a choice as running mate. What in these points goes to race?
"Powell said McCain has been a good friend for 25 years. But Powell expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, as well as in his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the Republican vice presidential nominee.
"I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States," Powell said."
.
.
Listen to the good general - he speaks the truth -
Kristi, love the blog. Actually, my wife stumbled across this entry and I just had to take the time to post. Colin Powell has been one of the most admired men in either party for years. He has been warning the GOP for years that they need to change direction. McCain and the Republican should listen to his criticism rather than revert to character assassination.
Thanks for putting this forum out there and we love to see the family photos too
We do need changes. Changes for the better. New ways of doing things, etc. It is a new day a new century. We need new direction. Vote Obama for President, for these changes! At least it would be a step towards our cry out for change.
it's funny how Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama is such a HUGE deal, yet the former Democrat VP candidate's (Joe Lieberman for those of you who can't remember 8 years ago) endorsement of McCain is largely ignored. typical.
Thanks for the blog, Kristi. I love checking in, I know you do not always get folks saying nice things about your views but the "freedom of speech" is refreshing
Keep up your great writings
Whereas I do not believe endorsements matter much in general, this is an endorsement that will matter. Military voters in Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia will feel they can now follow Powell's lead and vote for Obama with a clear conscience that they have not turned on a former military man, but in fact have turned the page to a new generation of leadership. Plus there are many others in both parties that respect Colin Powell and will take there lead from him if they are still undecided.
I really get a kick out of your blog. I love how you go from "light" to serious current events
Glad you did not take it private
Colin Powell is the man who delivered to the United Nations the U.S. case for war against Iraq. He was wrong then - and he is wrong now.
Gen Powell You DISAPPOINTED me. This may be one of the biggest mistakes of your distincuished career.
I cannot believe the future of my children have come to this
Over one in six Republicans say they will vote for President Obama. Educated, decent Republicans are sickened by McCain's pandering for KKK support, and the racist tone of his campaign. Karl Rove, Bush's political guru, is now saying President Obama will win by the greatest margin of the past twelve years...sweeping states that have voted Republican since 1969.
Darla, (#5 post) with all due respect you could not be more off base. If only Colin Powell had run for President. I have not felt so strongly about a person in many, many years. No, it's not a race issue, it's the whole package, the way he carries himself, his experience, his calm nature, even the warmth and honesty you can see in his face. I am extremely pleased that he broke off the chains of party affiliation and endorsed who he thought would benefit America the most. Rock on General Powell, and please consider tossing your hat into the ring in four years. For the record I am a 50 year old, white, middle class, college educated woman (BA from UVA class of 1982), woman.
Also, Kristi LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! You did not post for a few days and I was really sad. Hope all was ok. I love getting to my office and looking to see what is up at "Casa Chaos" - your family is precious and I love your take on life!
Go Sox!
Obama showing "intellectual vigor" ...you've GOT(!) to be kidding. What a load of crap. Yeah, it's the intelligent thing to redistribute the wealth- how's THAT for trickling up poverty.
Yep, as soon as a country can vote themselves handouts, they'll vote themselves into doom.
I can only hope we don't turn into that socialist nation.
People will soon ask,
"Who is John Galt?"... cause that's where we would go.
Well done Kristi, what a refreshing change from the rancor everywhere on the net. Powell's endorsement shows more than anything how alike we all are rather than proving these vast differences politicians and pundits try to shove down our throats. Personally at this point I'd like to see Palin and her family confined to living in NYC for the next four years, with international travel rights of course, maybe some free Columbia classes? and then watch her run as President. But you'd have to wonder which ticket !
Astonished? I have to ask what do you think of doubling the child credit ala McCain? And giving tax dollars to pay down people's mortgages? That's Rand socialism at it's worst. Obama wanst to raise taxes on people who are priviliged to live in the US ! How many of these same people could claim such success anywhere else? It IS patriotism to pay a fair tax, what's not patriotic is expecting kids like my nephew to go off to Iraq then whine if they have to pay taxes to support that same kid over there !
I want to throw up when I hear Obama and his "redistribution of wealth". Did you hear the condesending way he spoke to Joe the plumber? Obama is a like a cameleon, his color changes every day. Biden is a total idiot, why did they let that guy on the campaign? What I don't understand is why do all you Obama supports want the government to tell you what to do and take care of you? Why are you in America if you want to be socialist? There are plenty of socialist countries to go live in. Did you see the pictures of the huts they live in Cuba? The hurricane pictures? Go live in squalor or get a job and take care of yourselves. Obama is the worst thing that could happen to this country, he is a socialist and associates with terrorists and that god aweful ACORN. God help us if the muslum gets elected.
Obama is no more than a trained monkey. In the last debate he repeated the same thing over and over. There is no way on god's green earth he can deliver all of his promises. He is a liar and any intelligent person could see right through him. He has no experience, he is just a token for the democratic left.
The media has treated the Republicans and Sarah Palin like crap !!! I will never watch Charlie Gibson again,how unprofessional. And what is the deal with these Democrat movie stars? They are all paid as independent contractors, they have their own businesses, why do they want handouts from the government??? I don't get it unless Barbara Streisand is just a commie.
I think anyone who thinks Obama is going to do something for them is going to be very disappointed.
And have you heard what Alec Baldwin had to say about Palin after he met her on SNL? He thought she was really great. He on the other hand is a jerk. What a loser.
Also Obama is for abortion, do you really want him for your President. Abortion is murder. The dem's don't like Sarah Palin because she did not abort trig, now most of you here are mothers, would you have aborted Trig? I would never have an abortion and can't concieve of anyone that would be for abortion. That alone should sway you from voting for Obama.
Greed is what has gotten American into the trouble it is in. Trade in your SUV for an economical car. I did. I drive an old Mercedes diesel and we make biodiesel from used vegetable oil. We have a house that conserves electricity, we recycle and don't buy stuff we don't need just to "keep up with the Joneses". If we all cut down on the waste this country would be in better shape.
Palin does not represent trash, she had something happen in her life and she handled it. That is why I hate Dem's soo much, judge, judge and judge, heaven help you Dem's if something happens to your family or in your life, I am sure you would find someone to blame it on. Eubonics are spoken to endear people to that person, any intelligent person knows that. I guess you Dem's are not intelligent people, but I knew that already. Palin is 1st class and so is Cindy McCain. Michelle Obama has a big a*s and looks like she stared in the movie, Planet of the Apes.
Colin Powell is a dickhead for endorsing Obama. I have no problem with a black president but if we are going to have a black president I would prefer that he be a REAL black rather than a half-breed with some strange-ass muslim name. I'd rather see George Jefferson and Weezie in the White House.
MM
Be sure and tune into fox news this afternoon and see the Biden interview from West in Florida. Finally, the news media gets tough on the dem's.
I loved George Jefferson
Nobama- u are great and hit the nail right on the head about obama. Cannot stand him or his wife and what they stand for.
I just hope McCain can pull this election off, if we have Obama we are in trouble.
I got this in an email, did anyone watch the show?
Subject: FW: From Sunday's televised "Meet the Press"
From Sunday's Televised 'Meet the Press'
Senator Obama was asked about his stance on the American Flag.
Obama Explains National Anthem Stance
Sun, 07 Sept. 2008 11:48:04 EST, General Bill Ginn ' USAF (ret.) asked Obama
to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.
The General also stated to the Senator that according to the United States Code,
Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171... During rendition of the national anthem when the
flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at
attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. At the very least,
'Stand and Face It'
Senator Obama Live on Sunday states, 'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want
to be perceived as taking sides, Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world
to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys
a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped
for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song ' I'd Like To Teach the
World To Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.' We should consider to
reinvent our National Anthem as well as to redesign our Flag to better offer our enemies
hope and love. My wife disrespects the Flag for many personal reasons. Together she
and I have attended several flag burning ceremonies in the past, many years ago.
She has her views and I have mine'.
WHAAAAAAAT !!!
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard it right. This could possibly be our next President.
I, for one, am speechless.
Dale Lindsborg,
Washington Post
Post a Comment